Monday 23 May 2011

Laughs at my friend's funeral today

The world has certainly changed since I was a kid.  Toys turned into video games, the mini skirt has morphed into it's okay for the world to see your naked pics online and now there's laughter at funerals.  When  my Pappy died he was laid out at home and visitors came to my Nana's house into the wee small hours of the morning.  That was the first time Betsy Balega ever stayed up till 1 am.  Everyone spoke in hushed tones and were deadly serious, no pun intended.  A far cry from the Newbiggings Funeral Home at 733 Mt. Pleasant Road today at 11 am when I joined my neighbors to say au revoir (till we meet again) to Lorrain Bourgois.  Everyone was asked to share their happy, funny, great memories of Lorraine.  I know that the fear of speaking in public is the #1 fear in most peoples mind/body and spirit.  I decided to break the ice and get the stories started.  I was followed by 3 others before Doug, Lorraine's oldest son gave us his memories of mum.  They were all great stories and memories.  Lorraine was something.  We met 5 years ago and what I learned was she had patience, never judged, was giving, compassionate, caring and loved to laugh.  We sointently did that today at her memorial service.  It was wonderful to have laughter among the tears.  As Shakespeare said, parting is such sweet sorrow.  I used to tell my mom, "I cry at funerals because I can't go with them."  The best part of today was knowing that at some future date in time there will be people, like those who loved Lorraine and laughed, to remember me someday and share my funny side.  Until then take today and appreciate those people who are in your life.  They are in it for a reason.  And you are in theirs for a reason.  Time is precious.  Don't waste it.  Now go out and make some marvelous memories to remember next winter.

Betsy Balega

No comments:

Post a Comment