Sunday 29 April 2012

My interview with the New York Post, tv shows and more!

Quite a busy winter here in Toronto. Calling it the winter
that wasn't.  How was my winter?  Busy.

In January, I was in touch with an associate producer,working with a food
network,  The producion company was seeking people planning over the top cake parties,
much like the Cake Boss, Buddy Valastra, on TLC.

I qualified.  I've been planning my book's cake party, for
Being Mystic, it seems, since Jesus was in the manger.

Waiting dragged on for almost a month, when the truth
was revealed.  The associate producer expected me to
pay $3,000 for her carpenter's to construct a table, to
share with other people.  Excuse me, for $3,000 my cake
should have its' own suite at Trump Tower.

If your production company was short on funding and you
need angel investors why try to hide it?

Then February arrived, along with an audition for another
tv pilot.  This one was going to feature cold case murders from
Toronto over the past decades.  I had my audition at the
Gladstone Hotel.  After surprising the casting agent, with
info about the female victim, whose photo I held, of the
grusome murder scene, he seemed impressed.  It was
Elizabeth Short, a.k.a., the Black Dhalia. 

I went home to wait for news.  No response came.  Gee,
if you need $3,000 for your project I can link you up with
an associate producer crazy for cake. 

Shall I continue?  Oh yes, lets.

There was the interview I had for an upcoming March feature in the New York Post.
That too, began with an email, in January.  The interview took place
over the phone in March.  Again, I qualified.  The snag? Certain people
didn't want their names in the New York Post.  I'm not one of them.

The New York Post, and any of its columnists, can call me any time.

But, my friends, lawyers on the Upper East and West side, aren't so
obliging.  One requested either a pseudonym or just initials be used.
The freelance writer refused.  As 20/20 says, What Would You Do?
Do you sell your friends down the (East) river?  Just so you can be
mentioned in the New York Post?  I knew my name is Betsy Balega
not Judas Iscariot. 

But wait!  There's more!  In April 2 New York based casting directors
showed interest in me for their 2 new pilots.  Yogi, are you reading this? Deja vu all
over again.

Since I don't have video clips on my website, I directed them to the Being Frank show, episode 40.
Apparently, they liked the clip and asked for more.  I am still waiting to
hear back.  But, not holding my breath or my life.

The good April news for Being Mystic, is that it is excerpted and reviewed
on the Spiritual Lounge website.  Why do things go easier for me
in India than in North America?  Must be karmic.

Like attracts like in the univese.  This June I am at the Niagara Falls
Literary and Arts Festival.  And oh,  OWN is looking for interesting
stories for their new doc series.  I contacted them via Corus Entertainment.
They're on the guest list for my cake party.  And no, they're not
seeking $3,000.

Ain't life grand?

It sure is.

Betsy Balega
















No comments:

Post a Comment